Thursday, July 06, 2006

A memory of my dad


Today I was talking with my friend Jennifer about family and I told her that my dad worked for 29 years in a textile mill making blankets. I visited my dad on a few occasions in that mill, and it was not the best working conditions. It was very noisy with all the looms operating and there were very few windows, so it was hot and stuffy. But what brought tears to my eyes today was remembering that my dad worked all those years making blankets. About 1 1/2 ago I started a program with my friend Jennifer called Bears and Blankets. We took our 2 passions, Jen's love of teddy bears, and my love for knitting blankets and we give them to children in need. Last year we donated 65 bears and blankets, and this year we have donated approx 130 so far. Realizing today that my dad spent all those years making blankets, and now I am giving blankets to children in need, was a wonderful feeling.
You can find out more about Bears and Blankets by going to our website: www.bearsandblankets.com

No comments: